Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Tuesday Cables || I Dyed...a Vest

Months ago I wore a vest once and then it got bleach on it in the laundry. I figured I would try dyeing it to see if that would cover the spots. Of course I forgot to take any before pictures as usually. The before was about a khaki colored tan and the bleach spots were white.  I had never used dye so I didn't know what to expect and hoped for the best.
Here we go:
I used the old fashioned stuff...

...and a GIANT pot. I opted for the stovetop method over the sink and washing machine methods.

Next, soak the fabric in hot water. I thought this would make a cool shot but it wasn't really.

Finally, stir....for 30 minutes. Or stir for 15 minutes because you think the color is dark enough now and you're tired of stirring.

 End result vest is now brown and bleach spots are a khaki colored tan. Well, it was worth a try. I'm still not giving up on this vest yet. It just my take me another few months to figure out what to do next.

I almost forgot today's blessing! I got the WHOLE day off! My first one in about a week and a half and it's on a blog posting day! 

7 comments:

  1. You are daring. I would never have tried to dye my clothes.
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I'm really not that brave! It had bleach spots on it already. I have other clothes without any problems that I wouldn't mind dyeing but I'm too worried that I'll ruin them.

      Delete
  2. I don't know if this will work, but you could try to put it in color remover first and then dye it again. Maybe a really deep color like navy blue, or black (just be prepared for it to be an off-black.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good idea. I may try that sometime. I'm a little worried about doing anything else to the vest right now because the bleach spots look like they've weakened the fabric a little bit. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  3. Hi Jill, Bleach spots don't usually take dye due to the fibers being damaged, though you can, as Emily suggests, trying using our color remover to even the color to an off white and then see if it will dye evenly. Or spot dye it. But with bleach it's always touch and go. Sorry! Definitely try dyeing your other things. You dyed this vest like a pro! -- Ruth, The Rit Studio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the information, Ruth! I kind of figured from the beginning the bleach spots wouldn't dye. I think I will try using the color remover to even the color out since the vest was a lighter color to begin with. Thanks again!!

      Delete
  4. Well, good job for trying! Hope you can figure it out soon. :) My mom tried to dye her Converse from baby blue to navy blue and they ended up lavender, but she still wears them!

    ReplyDelete