Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Tuesday Cables / Handmade Wardrobe Series: Blue and Yellow

Thank you VERY MUCH to those who voted last week! I love the input! It looks like outfit 2 was the favorite last week! I was pleasantly surprised!



One color combination that I have always liked is blue and yellow. A few years ago when my mom repainted the bathroom she also took down the yellow shower curtain which quickly made it's way into my fabric stash awaiting it's fate to be found in a plethora of pinterest patterns. 

It wasn't very long before I found a circle skirt pattern just perfect for the light, well draping fabric!  

I didn't add a zipper to this skirt, just an elastic waistband that is installed in a very funky way. I hadn't been sewing for very long prior to making this, so it's got a few quirks and  odds mistakes that just make it mine. The other major quirk besides the elastic is the very uneven hem. I just tell myself it gives the skirt a little more of a bohemian look.

1. For a casual look I paired it with my chambray shirt. I tried it tucked in with a wide belt but decided I liked it better untucked which looks more casual and is SO comfortable anyway. I put on my off white flats because I felt like any of my dark shoes would look odd with the rest of the very light colored outfit.

2. I dressed up the skirt with a work outfit. The yellows in the cowl neck tee I'm wearing aren't the same shade as the skirt, but the skirt still makes them stand out well without clashing and the royal blue cardigan is already one of my favorite pairings with this skirt! I put on the only high heeled sandals I own to add to the formal look. 

3. While trying on different combos I put together a third outfit with this skirt! 
You could say this outfit sort of kills two birds with one stone because I sewed the shirt too! I used Simplicity 1692, Vintage 1940s tops, top C. The 'making of' story behind this shirt will be in a later post. I think this particular outfit may be a new favorite of mine. But don't let that sway your vote! 

Sorry they're a little blurry this week. Especially the first set. My camera was just not into cooperating a couple of days ago! 


12 comments:

  1. Beautiful, beautiful skirt! (by the way, I am so glad you decided to keep this series!) The pictures actually look great! The third outfit is probably my favorite out of the three, but they are all something I would wear! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! And thanks for letting me know that the pictures look alright. I'm assuming you're reading from a computer. I only have my ipad for posting so I don't really get to see what the posts look like from a pc too often.

      Delete
  2. Cute skirt! I like ALL of your outfits; they are so well put together! :D I am dreadfully partial to chambray shirts though, so my vote is with Outfit #1. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much, Paige! I love my comfy chambray shirt! I'm never sure if I should wear it to work or not. We're not allowed to wear denim and it's definitely denim colored, but technically it's not denim material...oh decisions, decisions. LOL

      Delete
  3. You have a knack for putting color together. I struggle with it. I always check with my wife before leaving g the house to make sure I'm not wearing a goofy combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rick! That's part of why I'm doing this series. I have quite a few home/handmade things now and sometimes I'm not exactly sure what they go well with. I figured I could get some other opinions by blogging about it.

      Delete
  4. Circle skirts are really fun, and that's neat how you recycled the fabric. I don't know if I can choose a favorite of the three, they are all really nice! Maybe #2, because I really the pop of that blue sweater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bethany! My mom has started making a habit out of asking me if I want to keep anything made of fabric that she is ready to throw away. It's a fun way to add to my ever growing stash!

      Delete
  5. I love the skirt, was it hard to make? And you made it from a shower curtain?
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathryn! The skirt wasn't hard to make at all especially since it has no seams! It's just one piece of fabric with a hole in the middle.

      Delete
  6. I love the third, with the first being a close second... if that makes any sense....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It makes perfect sense!! Thanks, Emily :)

      Delete