In Monday's post I said that I used Edelweiss Pattern's Liesl's Party Dress patter to make my wedding dress. I did not add the lower sleeve puff and I lengthened the skirt. I went to a seamstress to have it fitted because I only started using a machine a few years ago and am just not confident enough to make any important alterations yet. I had some pictures on a camera card of constructing the entire dress but I can't seem to find them right now!
This is the full dress before I put in the zipper and without the pearl bead sash. It was so much fun to sew and to see the whole thing come together. I had just guessed at the amount of fabric I would need to lengthen the skirt and I was so surprised when I ended up having the perfect amount with enough scraps left over to make a ring bearer pillow!
This is just before walking down the aisle. I was trying to pin a broken pendant with an edelweiss flower to my bouquet when my mother snapped this picture. My veil is home sewn as well. Just a couple yards of 108 inch wide tulle and about 8 yards of satin ribbon. My mother in law gave me some pretty silver and pearl combs that I used to hold the veil in my hair. The metal combs didn't hold securely enough to make me feel like the veil wouldn't fall off, so I also ended up using the plastic comb from my mother's wedding veil that she had worn 30 years earlier when she got married at the same church.
I really need to thank Katrina of Edelweiss Patterns who made this beautiful dress pattern (And perhaps even Dorothy Jeakins, the Sound of Music costume designer.) ;) Cheryl, the seamstress who fitted and hemmed my dress was so sweet and full of lots of encouragement and tips for my future sewing!