Friday, January 16, 2015

Favorite Things Friday || Abba Dabba Honeymoon Part 1


If you haven't heard Carleton Carpenter and Debbie Reynolds sing Abba Dabba Honeymoon in Two Weeks With Love the you should probably go watch it on YouTube right now!: Abba Dabba Honeymoon

My love for musicals didn't really explode until I was in 8th grade and I got the Original Broadway Soundtrack of Annie in my stocking that Christmas. For longer than I can remember, and I have mentioned it multiple times before on this blog (including last Tuesday), I have loved The Sound of Music.

 In 1992 my family visited Stowe, VT, where the von Trapps settled after they fled the Nazi regime in Austria. I have very vague memories of that vacation. We walked on the grounds of the Trapp Family Lodge but were stayed at a campground near by. After I got my drivers license I thought it would be fun to take a road trip, either by myself or with a friend, and spend the day in Stowe. It never happened. When I got engaged there was no doubt in my mind where I wanted to go for the Honeymoon. So this is kind of like Tuesday's post, a reminiscent photo dump, but this time not art related. These pictures do not do justice to how gorgeous the scenery really is.



The mountains are breathtaking. That sound so cliche, but that is the only way to describe them without turning into Baroness Schraeder and saying, "The mountains are magnificent, Georg! Really, magnificent!"

I had to do this without falling. In 1992 I tried to be Maria in the famous opening of The Sound of Music and ended up rolling down the hill, thus creating a family memory that I will never live down. There is a post-roll photo in existence.
We went for a hike the the chapel Werner von Trapp built after returning home from World War 2.

Ringing the bell to "make a joyful noise." 

We drove around the area looking at the mountains, going into shops, and seeing snow for the first time in the season! There was a friendly exchange of frozen ammo.

And of course, when you're this close to the factory, you go!


7 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks like such a beautiful place! :D What a lovely, history-filled area to go for your honeymoon. I'm sure going to the ice cream factory didn't hurt either. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very beautiful there!! The best thing is no matter what season you go there is always something to do. The ice cream factory was great! We had an excellent and funny tour guide and got to try a "tour only" flavor of ice cream called Better Than Chai. A chai tea flavor that I think was also kind of a play on the Hebrew word for life.

      Delete
    2. Oh, that's fun! How clever of them to come up with that name. ;)

      Delete
  2. "The hills are alive" I know every word and gesture.....it is for sure my favorite. Looks like a fun time, especially the part with Ben and Jerry ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun! I am definitely looking forward to visiting both Stowe and Ben and Jerry's again someday!

      Delete
  3. Looks like a beautiful place for a honeymoon, Jill! And a tour of Ben and Jerry's sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was definitely glad to go to Vermont even in November! It was actually pretty warm for that time of year, almost 60 degrees one day! The ice cream factory was definitely a fun visit for that reason even though it wasn't quite as warm that particular day.

      Delete